"Mom, do you love Delilah more than me?"
Instantly tears swelled in my eyes, my chest became constricted making it difficult to breathe, my whole body felt as though it suddenly weighed a thousand pounds.
"No! No no no, Colbert. I love you just as much as Delilah. *embracing him tightly* Why do you think you feel that way?" Trying to calm myself down
"I don't know. ... Because she is so cute and always so happy." He says in the most genuine heartfelt tone I've ever heard come out of his little voice box.
"Honey, no, I definitely do not love Delilah more. I don't want you to feel like I love her more. Can we think of some ways to fix this feeling together?"
*nods his head yes* still cuddled up close to me as humanly possible.
"Hmm, well my Bear, when do you feel loved?"
"When we cuddle like this, and when we go to the park, and when we play Disney Infinity together. ... And we go to dinner."
"Alright, well how about we have a date, just you and me. I will ask your Dad to watch Delilah for an evening so you and I can spend time together. Just the two of us. How does that sound?"
With a smile of love in repair on his face he says "That sounds really good. Can you ask Dad now?"
"Of course. I will also have to see if I can get off work early so we can go to the park when the sun is still up."
"Ok, that's a good idea. I love you, Mom"
"I love you too, Colbert."
I thought I had been doing so well balancing time with the two of them. Making sure to have time with him as Delilah naps. But he is right, we don't go places just the two of us like we use to. It breaks my heart to hear that he feels this way. Now I'll be extra conscious of having time for just him and I. It has been rough these past 9 months, always having Delilah so he couldn't just have me to himself. Hopefully this all can be remedied.
0 comments:
Post a Comment