Day 16 - A picture of someone who inspires you.
This woman is someone who inspires me. Growing up I looked up to her. I started to shave my legs because I wanted to be like her. I learned how to wrap my hair in a towel to dry from watching her repeatedly. I grew up looking at her thinking she was so beautiful. I envied her ability to flirt. I eavesdropped on her conversations with friends not just to be a bother, but to learn how to interact with the world. I admired her artistic abilities and only wished that I had the patience she had to develop her talent. When it came time for me to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up (which I must admit I'm still trying to figure out), I thought about how Heather chose to do what she loved knowing full well it didn't promise riches. It was what made her happy. I thought back and forth again and again if I wanted to go into a field involving children which I am talented in, or something with computers that again I'm talented in, but it wouldn't make me happy. As you know I chose the former, and it has made me happy and has taught me far more than I thought it could. She stood up for what she believed in no matter what, which has time and time again helped me stand my ground. I've never always understood the decisions she's made...like when she stopped shaving her legs and armpits...which although I'm sure had something to do with being a feminist, I don't know what any hair on a person's body has to do with their worth. But it was what she believed in at the time, and I admire her greatly for it. Most of all she has inspired me to respect myself, respect others, and take responsibility for my actions.

0 comments:
Post a Comment