Duress impacts relationships in one of two ways. It either tears people apart or strengthens their connection, binding them tightly in a common objective.
The relationships in my life have gone both ways. It seems that family, those that I am blood related to, I have mostly lost. However the bonds with friends have grown stronger, as well as other family that I certainly wasn't born with. I use to think that you're supposed to have your family's backs, no matter what. That was a mistaken understanding on my part. There are many things in life that I learned much, much, earlier than the majority of my peers. One I wish I had learned was the balance...no, the difference...of helping and enabling family.
My brothers had it right. They ran for the hills as soon as they could. For whatever reason I didn't learn from their example and follow suit. You'd think after the years of admiring my brothers and their accomplishments I would have at least had the brains to follow their most intelligent maneuver, leaving their family and never looking back.
As far as regrets go, there's nothing in life I regret doing. Everything I did, I did with good intentions. However, what I do regret are the many things I did not do out of fear of an unfavorable outcome. I play it safe. Something that I tried to change nearly two years ago. To come out of my comfort zone, take risks, make mistakes.
Unfortunately every risk I took, turned out even worse than anticipated. Especially the one I took a year ago.
Now I am on a Bear Hunt, as a turtle hiding in it's shell once again. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that a bear vs a turtle, isn't a fight anyone would place bets on. Guess this bear hunt isn't just about hunting. It's about a turtle, turning into something other than a turtle, something that stands a chance against a bear.
0 comments:
Post a Comment