Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Guts

The electrician says I'm being courageous.  I'm trying to be.  My goal is to lessen this feeling day by day, week by week, until it no longer strikes a nerve.  I can't avoid this, I can't go under it, I can't go over it, I must go through it.  So I'm handling this the only way I know how, facing it head on.  I was presented with what was once my biggest fear, here I am, still standing, breathing, living.  The fear is still there, but it no longer controls me.
As mentioned before, the electrician suggested I write a letter.  I'm not going to.  I have nothing to say to him, there's nothing I want from him. Even if he were alive, there's nothing he could say or do to create any sort of closure.  I get to choose how I feel, not him.
What happened wasn't about me, it had nothing to do with who I am.  The result of what happened is about me, it is about who I am, and it's up to me to decide who I become as a result.
Maybe I don't need to morph into anything from my turtle self to face the bear at the end of this hunt. I could just put on a bandana, eat a lot of pizza, live in the sewer, and take some advice from Splinter.  Wouldn't be the first time I've been a ninja.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." - Mark Twain
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if you have to dig a little." - Tori Amos

0 comments:

Post a Comment