Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Fool Joke

I was weeding through my e-mail, I haven't checked it in quite some time. I came across this hilarious (or so I thought at the time) April fools joke I did back in 2005. It's got me cracking up, but I remember many of my family members didn't find it so amusing. A lot of them were excited, hopeful, some were ticked. Now that I'm older and understand how important the military is to my family and friends I realize why they freaked out. At any rate, here is what I sent:



As some of you know, I've been toying with the idea of joining the Navy, like the fact that if I don't get the Millenium scholarship, and it looks like I wont so then I had been trying to figure out which field to go into and finally decided the other day. The medical field seems like the best choice. So I went to the recruiting office in Reno earlier this week, and me being the headstrong woman I am (thanks Mom for the quality) I decided then and there to go through with it. I had a crud load of paperwook, getting background checks, proving my school history stuff like that. I apparently was clear and what not.

Next day my recruiter picked me up and I went to MEPS, Military Enterance Processing Command...not sure what the S stands for, Station maybe?, anyways...so I went through a physical they took my precious blood, they actually had to make sure I could read because me teaching reading isn't proof enough, they had to check my flexibility all that jazz. Surprisingly I had no problems, well other than I need to gain some weight haha. Finally i sat down with a detailer and picked my job, drum roll....Corpsman aka "HM". It took so fricken long it was insane. At the end of the MEPS stuff I took a nice little oath of enlishment. I'm getting shiped to boot camp in July to Great Lakes, Illinois.

I'm sorta scared, and I'm sorry that I just now sprung this on some of you, but I couldn't tell anyone until I got the nerve to tell Mom and Todd. They're not happy at all...I think they would have taken me getting married better than they did my enlistment. Well it's too late for their opinions now...unless I shoot a toe or something, which I don't think I really want to do ever.

Anywho, I love all of you, I hope none of you are pissed or anything...it's just something I feel I need to do with my life. I prayed about it, it felt right. For my graduation party I suppose we'll do a going away party at the same time, two birds with one stone right? And I figure the convienence of Dugan and Charlottes wedding is great so I can say goodbye. Oh and the attachment, nearly forgot about the pic...yeah that picture was taken after my oath...I got a nifty hat to add to my collection, along with a backpack (not pictured.) Yeah, so that's it. That's what I've been keeping from you guys lately, sorry for the awkwardness. I'd really like if I'd get some sort of support since Mom and Todd are not one bit supportive. I hope to hear back from you all. I love you...so love me back, to know me is to love me.
Much love,
Amanda

2 comments:

Bama said...

Wow, what was the reaction when they found out it was a joke??

manda said...

You know what, I bet I still have the response e-mails from it...I'll post those.

Post a Comment