Day 37 - A picture of the people you spend most of your time with.
This is almost all of them, missing one. This was a particularly hecktic time, where they were all getting super upset all at once, courtesy of mirror neurons. So we tossed drinks all around. The rule is that they sit down to drink their bottles, they all positioned themselves and sat before even being given their bottles. I find it so fascinating the way that they can be conditioned. Lolo, of course, was too upset to handle himself, so he is on Vanessa's lap. When it comes to milk he gets the most upset, he is definitely what they call a milk baby. I spend every work day with these babies. I think I spend more waking hours with these guys than with anyone else in my life. Sometimes I do get bitter that some of them make more money than I do, yet get free high quality childcare, free food for their child, free diapers, etc. saving them 700 dollars a month, money saved that they don't even fully appreciate. Nothing irritates me more than unappreciative people. Kind of sad that I spend more time with them than I do with my own son, but I wouldn't be able to provide the opportunities at home for Colbert that he gets at school anyhow, so I am happy that this job allows for me to pay for his schooling, despite how dirt poor it makes me afterwards, haha. Not to mention I'd hate to have all my education and only use it on my son, I'm glad that I'm able to provide a consistent safe environment for these babies who would otherwise be neglected...not all of them would be neglected, some of them have a wonderful mom. For those moms our program allows for them to succeed in their schooling and/or careers. It's those rare few moms that inspire me. The ones that are able to practically take on the world on their own, being a spectacular example for their child. They remind me that there is still hope for our future. Some of them do encounter struggles that I couldn't even imagine trying to tackle. My job is bitter sweet I suppose.

0 comments:
Post a Comment